Thursday, January 17, 2008

(Young?) Adult Reading

Sundiver by David Brinn - Returned unread.
Armegeddon's Children by Terry Brooks - Returned unread.
The Girl Who Heard Dragons by Anne McCaffrey - Read the first story, then realized it was a collection of short stories, so I returned it.

Freedom's Landing by Anne McCaffrey - Very interesting read, but seems incomplete...maybe there's a sequel that I missed? If so, I would happily read it as this one was good.

Dragonflight - Really liked this introduction to the Pern World series. After returning the above books, I checked out Dragonquest and The White Dragon to complete this trilogy. I finished reading all three with the vague sense that I may have read them before, but no confirmation. I also found that these books are shelved in the Young Adult section, which surprised me. What surprised me more though, was the fact that I really don't want to be seen reading YA books. It seems an arbitrary distinction, since Dragonflight was in the general fiction section and the rest of the trilogy was in YA, but it still affected my desire to read other works.

I checked out a few others in the Pern series that were also from the YA section. I'll probably start on them, but in addition to their YA distinction, they are very short which is always less interesting to me since I like a meaty book.

Not sure what's coming next, but thinking about getting the Chronicles of Narnia since I never read that as a child - how did I miss this?

No comments: