Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sallie Mae, I do it all for you...

When I was in my second year of graduate school, a near-graduate performed an original song he'd written the title of which I borrowed for this post. It was funny as he listed out all the degrading things he had done or would do for "Sallie Mae" who I'd yet to become acquainted with. Well, let me tell you, I do it all for Sallie Mae now too.

It's no joke that loans and overextended credit drive the American political and economic climate through incredible fear. I doubt that the US will ever embrace free medical care and much less free education, but how many serious problems could be helped by an educated and healthy populace? Uneducated people may be easier to control and manipulate though - it's easy to jump on the bandwagon of the conservative Christian right (or the left-wing faction, to be fair) based on faith alone when you don't know any better.

At any rate, my financial future is getting better and better, but for the next 30 years, I'll be in bed with Sallie Mae, although hopefully I won't have to do anything too degrading.

No comments: