Monday, May 7, 2007

Talking Shit

I bitch about people too much. When I got off work at 11pm and couldn't wait to fall into bed, I still stood around outside the store bitching about my coworkers for another twenty minutes. I felt very self-conscious while I was talking to my coworker because 1. she's not exactly very trustworthy - I'm sure she'll be talking about me on her next shift and/or telling everyone what I said about them; 2. there was a camera on us the whole time; and 3. the shift lead (who I was particularly bitching about) left while we were mid-bitch.

I often say that I would like to get to the point where I never say anything about someone that I wouldn't mind them hearing me say or that I wouldn't say to their face, but I continue to bitch. Whenever I express my dismay, I am usually reassured that it's healthy to vent or that I'm just working things out out loud, but I still don't like it.

Considering this, I wonder if this is the appeal to my more distant relationships - when I don't spend loads of time with people, I am so happy to see them and spend time that there's nothing to bitch about. That doesn't totally hold water, though because I know there are people with whom I could spend every day and never feel like bitching about them - the Jeffs are an example. Both of my Jeffs are amazing, patient friends with whom I feel totally comfortable and always have a great time. I don't think they really ever bitch about anybody either. Maybe like being the person you want to find, I'll have to stop bitching to develop more relationships like that.

No comments: