Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Evocative

Used the word "evocative" in a sentence today. E likes to make fun of me when I used "big" words, but when she asks me to define them, I'm usually able to do pretty well. I thought I did okay with this one when I said that evocative was more about any emotion and provocative was more about specific emotions around sex or aggression. (A funny word that A and E both enjoyed me defining was "cur" which means mongrel dog which goes to show that not all "big" words are big at all.)

From Websters:
Evocative: evoking or tending to evoke an especially emotional response
Provocative: serving or tending to provoke , excite, or stimulate
Provoke:to arouse to a feeling or action b : to incite to anger 2 a : to call forth (as a feeling or action) : EVOKE

No comments: