Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Reconnecting to Goals

I lay in bed this morning listening to a phone message wherein my friend tells me that my thesis adviser told her that this year's thesis group has really raised the bar. What? They're done with their theses and they're that good?! I'm not done and it's a year post-graduation. I have yet to actually receive my masters degree, finish my board exams and achieve that license. I'm licensed enough to practice and to open my clinic which is where all the energy's been going, but not enough to practice as I'd like and as I ought. So, I decided to reconnect to my goals - review them, remember them, dismiss the ones that are no longer of interest, recommit to those that are.

Actively Working On
Let's start with number 7: Write my masters thesis - I'm setting a deadline for June 27. That's the last Friday of the month and the Friday before this year's graduation. I'm not walking obviously, but there is some heightened level of not feeling good about myself if I haven't at least finished my requirements by the time the next class walks. Since I'm going on vacation and visiting with family for the next week, I'm going to say that Tues, Wed and Friday mornings after my vacation are dedicated to thesis. Today and tomorrow mornings are dedicated to finishing the side job that I continually feel guilty about because I promised a deadline months ago, then reset it for weeks ago and still haven't worked on it.

And, because of my vacation plans and real life, that's the only one I'm fully committed to at present. But it's a whopper!

Still on the Drawing Board
2. Finish putting my hard copies of photos and scraps into albums -- some day
4. Get names/artists for the currently un-labeled music -- harder than I thought
10. Finish my mom's afghan -- wish I'd planned better so I could take it to her this week
11. Walk Chibo everyday for 2 weeks -- need to get realistic about this plan
12. Drink no soda for 1 month (excluding soda water) -- keep getting really close
14. Sell or donate crafting supplies not in use -- garage project
20. Do deep breathing exercises every night for 1 week -- enlist A, leave note by bed
23. Teach a QiGong class -- next summer
26. Sell my Pathfinder -- next spring
27. Go outrigger paddling again -- this summer!
28. Go for an overnight backpacking trip -- this summer?
29. Go backpacking for more than one night -- next summer
30. Get caught up on filing and data entry -- garage and computer project
31. Take another obedience class with Chibo -- this summer?
34. Consult with a dermatologist -- do I still want/need to do this?
35. Consult with an adoption counselor -- not until engaged, which may not happen within 1001
38. Reduce by 1/2 my primary credit card -- in progress, but not aggressively
40. Cancel out of date creditors -- need to read credit report to see what's what
41. Finish updating my name with relevant resources (such as credit reporting agencies) -- ?!
43. Take guitar lesson/class -- some day
44. Take dance class -- soon, with A!
45. Take ceramics/pottery class -- some day
46. Find an acceptable news source and read it daily for 2 weeks -- I love the business pages
48. Eat no processed food for 1 week -- just need to plan this realistically with A
49. Plant an herb garden (or at least 4 kinds in pots) -- maybe this summer in pots
50. Plant a vegetable garden -- when I move
51. Plant Tiger Lily's bulbs -- when I move
52. Buy a book on Lily's or orchids -- when I move or buy orchids
54. Crochet something to wear -- next autumn/winter
56. Spend an important anniversary with mom -- this winter?
59. Hike 2x per week for 2 months -- this summer, with A and E!
60. Visit Pete and Sara in DC/NY -- hoping to schedule this in soon!
65. Make a supplement list and take consistently for 2 weeks -- maybe after vacation
66. Go 1 day without swearing -- maybe today?
67. Set aside an afternoon 1x per month for 3 months to send birthday greetings and other mail -- some day, not very good at this, that's why it's a goal
69. Find a good calcium supplement and add to regular supplement list -- also not good at this
70. Put videos onto DVD -- some day, no rush
71. Learn to sharpen dad's knives -- some day, no rush
72. Renew SCUBA certification and go diving! -- maybe never, depends on asthma
73. Learn 3 prayers -- I know Our Father now, just need to learn 2 more
74. Memorize 1 poem -- I know several, but the idea was to learn a new one
75. Floss nightly for 2 weeks -- I don't know why this is so challenging
80. Go to the zoo -- some day, no rush
81. Have a day of gracious living - tell people about the concept -- some day, no rush
83. Get a fish or bird -- when I move
85. Go to my 10 year college reunion - scheduled 10/2009
86. Find out if Math/Science Center is still running and contact the director -- some day, no rush
87. Tune up sewing machine -- some day
88. Take a sewing class -- some day, more interested now that I'm reading A Dress A Day
90. Make a recommended reading list for professional development -- to do
91. Find a resource to keep up to date on research (list serve etc.) -- to do
92. Go to AANP and/or NWNPC conferences -- 2009!
93. Drink 8 glasses of water daily for 1 month -- some day
95. Take the train to Seattle -- this summer?
96. Fast for 24 hours -- maybe never, need to reevaluate my connection to this goal
97. Have a cocktail party - make a new drink for friends! -- THIS SUMMER!
100. Go to Olympic National Forest -- this summer?
101. Visit Italy -- this will be accomplished!

Completed Goals
1. Complete my list of 101 things to do - completed 3/30/07
3. Reorganize the music on my MP3 player - completed 11/24/07
6. Finish my last case paper - completed 6/15/07
8. Graduate NCNM - Walked 6/25/07
9. Build/commission a professional website - I count it that my business has a website!
13. Visit Rebecca in Trinidad or elsewhere - her recent move to P___ made that much easier!
18.Go to the next staff or company meeting at work - completed 7/11/07
21. Memorize Tai Ji Yang Style form - completed approx 7/27/07
22. Take a Tai Ji class outside of NCNM - completed 7/9/07, three week course
24. Volunteer anywhere - completed 9/21/07 Chinese Garden
25. Walk to Fred Meyer instead of driving as needed for 2 weeks - completed 7/8/07 (didn't even realize I had done it!)
32. Go kayaking - completed 7/14/07
33. Learn to straighten my hair - completed 5/8/07
36. Go to a live sporting event at least 4x per year - completed in 2007!
37. Pay off my Citibank credit card - paid off with consolidation 2008
39. Request my credit report - received with credit union acct - 2008
42. Sign up for 401K at New Seasons - completed 7/18/07
47. Identify my favorite section of the bookstore - completed Feb 2008
53. Read a book every week for 2 months - completed Feb 2008
55. Crochet something as a gift - completed 2/25/08, "Christmas" scarf for A
57. Get a facial - completed 11/8/07
58. Find a good facial moisturizer with SPF - completed 7/3/07
61. Cook a meal for my housemate completed 5/7/07
62. Cook a meal for my boyfriend completed 5/7/07
63. Cook a meal for friends (more than E and A!) completed 4/8/07
64. Try a recipe out of the vegan cookbook - have tried several!
68. Make a reasonable budget - it may not be reasonable by some standards, but I have a budget!
76. Teach Chibo to lay down - can't believe I never listed this as completed - sometime in 2007
77. Hang wind chimes - completed 6/20/07
78. Consult financial advisor - completed long time ago, not sure why I didn't put this down. I went to lunch with a financial advisor. It wasn't a personal meeting, which we scheduled for later, but it was a consultation. I also count this completed because I have consulted many financial advice articles online and realize that it will be some years before I'm ready to start doing any serious financial planning (and paying for it!).
79. Lose 25 pounds - done 2007, unfortunately what once was lost has now been found, but que sera, sera.
82. Backup Computer - External Drive for Christmas, backed up!
84. Acquire a new camera and learn to use it -Camera for Christmas!
94. Clean out garage at Center Commons - Completed by virtue of moving 8/2/07

(Likely to remain) Undone
5. Try rock climbing - this was adventurous thinking, I really am not that interested in doing this - I tried by signing up for it, paid for it and didn't do it.
15. Sign up for Bikram Yoga new member package and use it at least 2x - I'm going to agree with my Chinese doctors and let this one go - my yin deficiency will not respond well to that hot room.
16. Ride my bike to school or clinic at least 5x in spring term - yeah, as stated before, didn't happen.
17. Get a basket or pannier for my bike - since I'm not bike commuting and don't really like buying things, I think I don't need to buy myself something for the bike. It seems like a weird goal, to buy something, anyways.
19. Apply for Mercy Corps business grant - not necessary with new business model. Might apply later if something develops along those lines.
89. Eliminate eggs from diet for 1 month - just not committed to this. Added to the list because my allergy panel suggested that maybe I might be slightly allergic to eggs, but I think they showed up just because I eat them all the time. I should have put dairy on the list!
98. Go to the Garden at least 3x before membership runs out - that didn't happen, but I am volunteering there, semi-regularly and learned that free doesn't necessarily mean I'll do something.
99. Get a new membership somewhere when Chinese Garden runs out - since my Chinese Garden membership didn't work out so well, I'm not sure how committed I am to committing to another place. Will think about it.

Statistics
Finished
Time: 431 days (43%)
Goals: 34 goals (34%)
42 goals (42%) includes both completed and undone goals

Still To Go
Time: 570 days (57%)
Goals: 59 goals (58%)

No comments: