Friday, June 13, 2008

It Goes To Show You Never Can Tell...

I just read a letter from a male friend who recently moved back to the Midwest and got married. When we met, a friend of mine briefly considered dating him, but didn't because of his no-marriage attitude. He was very firmly against marriage and said he didn't even want to be someone's boyfriend - no commitments, he said. Now he's happily married with a baby on the way and considering moving to Russia if his wife's immigration does not go through. We say a lot of things about what we will and won't do, what we stand for, etc, but really, I think you don't know until you're in the position to make that decision for real. Maybe you will go with what you've always said, but maybe, just maybe, you'll take a leap and try something that doesn't feel so natural.

I hope that I am strong enough and courageous enough to do both.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: