Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Internal Exploration

My friend enjoys UE: urban exploration as photography subjects. He has also expressed an interest in rural exploration, mostly abandoned farm equipment and buildings. I wonder if I can interest him in some internal exploration?

I don't know why I like that terminology but I do. Somehow the words - internal exploration - sound like an adventure. I guess Body Worlds 3 (which I have extremely mixed feelings about) could be one form of internal exploration, whereas therapy and personal growth work could be another.

I found a list of the top 10 things one can do to improve one's life and the top item was something about stop paying so much attention to how you feel. I really jived with that in some ways. My community consists of a lot of people who are really in touch with their feelings and sometimes it gets a little crazy. Like when a friend asked me how I was dealing emotionally with moving in the middle of carrying furniture outside. Or when another friend wept daily for two weeks for no aparent reason and spent hours ruminating on it. I do think sometimes that would help people have a better time.

But what about those people who don't really get in touch with their feelings at all? I guess the answer is the same as usual: moderation.

No comments: