Monday, July 30, 2007

Hopefully I'll write this blog

So, E's friend did offer this piece that I learned a bit from:

"Hopefully, I'll go to the store."

It doesn't mean: I hope I will go to the store.
It does mean: I will go to the store feeling hopeful.

Even though common parlance and usage directs our understanding to the first meaning, I think he is correct that the exact meaning falls more in line with the second. I am not sure how I will use this information, but it does provide some food for mental mastication on the use of adverbs. I'd love to speak to an English professor and get their take on this phenomenon.

As I consider taking Hindi and/or Chinese language training, I remember how much Latin and Chinese had to do with me getting into medicine. An idea: writing a naturopathic medical dictionary. How much fun would that be?!

No comments: