Sunday, March 23, 2008

I ♥ Merriam Webster

I love my dictionary. It's a large hard bound red Webster's that I inherited from a friend of mine when she moved away. She's since moved back, but I've grown too attached to give her book back. I suppose I would if she asked, but I'm grateful that she hasn't asked. I also love going to the online dictionary which not only provides me a definition, context and history, but pronounces the word for me. That's a great gift. This week I looked up a lot of words at work, because we started working with a new bakery:

Eclair: a usually chocolate-frosted oblong pastry filled with whipped cream or custard
Charlotte: a dessert consisting of a filling (as of fruit, whipped cream, or custard) layered with or placed in a mold lined with strips of bread, ladyfingers, or biscuits
Petit Four: a small cake cut from pound or sponge cake and frosted
Napoleon: an oblong pastry with a filling of cream, custard, or jelly

I also wanted to know how to pronounce maitre d' (headwaiter) for some reason, so it's a French language lesson!

All this word looking up is fun. If you enjoy words like I do, you might also enjoy this talk which is part of the TED Talks series. I can't rave enough about the TED talks - this is what the Internet should be about - ideas worth sharing and sharing them freely to enhance the possibilities. If I aspire to any lofty goal, it's that someday I have an idea worth sharing.

No comments: