Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Procrastination as a Lifestyle Choice

Everyday I check items off my task list, so I get to feel like I'm really getting a lot done. But my thesis remains untouched, my case papers unwritten, I need to renew my library books for the 10th time and my cortisol levels have bottomed out with the combination of my high stress level and immense coffee intake. It's all I can do to attend my classes during this last week of term and hold myself back from cleaning out my garage and holding a yard sale this weekend.

I'm just looking away from my major priorities in favor of the small tasks that are so much easier to accomplish. Procrastination as a lifestyle choice does not work - I know this, but it's a hard habit to break. How do you stop procrastinating when the things used as distractors are also important tasks for a healthy lifestyle? Even going to the gym has become a way to ignore my homework. Cleaning my home, especially from the top-down as my office is on the bottom floor, also needs to be done so I don't go crazy, but may not be the most effective use of my time.

So do I just get fat and live in filth for the next 4 weeks until my draft is due? Maybe. Black and white thinking will get me nowhere, but at least I can use that as an excuse when we don't have a clean glass to drink out of. I better sign off and wash my car before the neighbors in the parking garage complain.

No comments: