Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Note to Self - Remember Your Core Values

Integrity -
1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : INCORRUPTIBILITY
2 : an unimpaired condition : SOUNDNESS
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : COMPLETENESS
synonym see HONESTY

I really like these definitions and feel freed by having these synonyms for integrity as I may have laid a guilt trip on my door by holding a "firm adherence to a code of especially moral...values." Rather than focusing on someone else's moral values, I think I'll focus on being sound and complete within myself and honest both within and without.

Serenity - the quality or state of being serene
1 a : clear and free of storms or unpleasant change b : shining bright and steady
2 : AUGUST -- used as part of a title, as in: His Serene Highness
3 : marked by or suggestive of utter calm and unruffled repose or quietude

I have been talking lately of subtlety, but I realize now I've been meaning serenity. I do want to laugh loudly with abandon, I do want to live out loud, I don't want to go quietly into this good night, but I want to do it all while shining bright and steady and remaining unruffled in the face of the storms of modern life.


Personal Development (Learning and Growth) -
Some concepts related to development:
  • to set forth or make clear by degrees or in detail : EXPOUND
  • to make visible or manifest
  • to elaborate (a musical idea) by the working out of rhythmic and harmonic changes in the theme
  • to work out the possibilities of
  • to create or produce especially by deliberate effort over time
  • to make active or promote the growth of
  • to make available or usable
  • to move (a chess piece) from the original position to one providing more opportunity for effective use
  • to cause to unfold gradually
  • to expand by a process of growth
  • to cause to grow and differentiate along lines natural to its kind
  • to acquire gradually
  • to go through a process of natural growth, differentiation, or evolution by successive changes
  • to become gradually manifest; to come into being gradually

Wow. And here's one that wasn't in the original list, but since I'm looking up words and gaining such useful understanding -

Authentic - true to one's own personality, spirit, or character.

Yep, the dictionary is my favorite book of all time.

Definitions from: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

No comments: