Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Timing is Everything

Since the week of clearing my relationship clutter by breaking up with every fellow I’d ever spoken to and being unceremoniously left at my make-believe alter by the heretofor object of my affection, I’ve been on a romantic rollercoaster with my hetero lifemate and our two new fellows. No, we didn’t double date to a theme park! Though I advised against it, I watched her make some crucial mistakes in jumping into love head first and have seen her come up with a nosebleed. I may still be diving into my new relationship, but I’m trying a different form – not quite feet first but cannonball style.

Anyone who has ever told a joke can attest to the rule that “Timing is Everything." With jokes and with relationships, timing is of the essence. Last week after the string of break ups (See: Breaking Up is Hard to Do and Friend or Boyfriend?), I thought I would never fall in love again – my theme song was that Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach tune. This was made all the more painful by my hetero lifemate telling me how she’d found her match and how apparently great it was going.

If there really is a finite amount of pain and pleasure in the universe, we were definitely trading off, because the same night that things turned around for me was the night when her ivory tower of love came crashing down around her. She got stood up on the same night that I realized that I might have found someone pretty special and greater than that, that I can and will fall in love again and again and again… I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, timing is everything. Either that or I’m just able to convince myself to obey the words of my new theme song: Always Look at the Bright Side of Life.

No comments: