Sunday, October 21, 2007

Day Three: Nanaimo

Ah, Nanaimo - the quaint little port city that could. I don't recommend it for anyone who wants big museums or the city life, but I do recommend it for those who want to feel real Canadian hospitality, get closer to nature and maybe enjoy a slow day in an Old Town. A and I tendered to shore in a little boat [not so little, they seat 150] and spent about an hour wandering around Nanaimo. Having heard that Nanaimo has a good population of Somoan's and that outrigger paddling is very popular there, I was pleased to see both dragon boats and a couple outriggers before I even set foot on land. The only souvenir that appealed to us, still in tourist mode, was a VHS copy of a cheesy 80's movie, the name of which I can't even recall, since we had a VCR in our room and were heading back to the ship for the rest of the day and wanted something to do. Were I to go back, I would take advantage of the beautiful hiking nearby. The shore excursions also included some farm visits which could have been really fun.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing in the AquaSpa, napping and, of course, eating.

Dinner:
Spinach and Gorgonzola Stuffed Pastry
Chilled Melon and Mint Soup
Filet Mignon
Baked Alaska

Everything was delicious, but if I never eat meat again, it will be too soon! At the end of dinner, the entire staff was presented to us and the waiters came out to some shipboard song bearing baked Alaska to every table. I didn't realize that Baked Alaska was simply an ice cream cake - it was delicious, but come on - it's ice cream cake! I have to say that it's a good thing for my rapidly increasing waist that this was only a three-day cruise!

No comments: