Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My Broken Heart

I read the following piece at my lineage ceremony this weekend. It is an excerpt from Renescence by Edna St. Vincent Millay. I came to my school with an injured heart and joined my program after my heart was broken, split wide in two. It seems that if you have love in your life, the people who love you can hold the sky at bay for a short time if your heart is unable to act on its own accord. Also, that a broken heart is the natural result of trying to thwart the will of the universe - your heart naturally divides when you force yourself along a contrary path - one part stays with you and the other travels along your destined path. I am grateful to my instructors for nurturing my heart and soul such that I am able to make right decisions along my path without the experience of a broken heart.

The world stands out on either side
No wider than the heart is wide;
Above the world is stretched the sky, -
No higher than the soul is high.
The heart can push the sea and land
Farther apart on either hand;
The soul can split the sky in two,
And let the face of God shine through.
But East and West will pinch the heart
That can not keep them pushed apart;
And he whose soul is flat - the sky
Will cave in on him by and by.

No comments: